Thursday, May 29, 2008

you are a delight

“The Lord your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty Saviour. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm your fears. He will exalt over you by singing a happy song.” Zephaniah 3:17[NLT]


we’re sitting on the alphabet rug at preschool, jo and i, probably singing “elephants have wrinkles.” an unlikely time to grasp a great new truth.

but we’re singing, clapping and swaying, as i said, when teacher marci looks at her sixteen preschoolers and says, “you know, they’re all such a delight in so many ways.”

and they really are! maddy’s melting smile (and i mean melting). austin’s unfailingly cheerful “okay, teacher marci!” bryant’s exuberance over everything, from saltines with peanut butter to a tower of pegs. mariah’s priceless giggles.

sometimes i feel pretty undelightful. i feel regret over past mistakes. i fail to show my love to the people i love most. my days are too busy to be beautiful and i forget to pray…again.

but just imagine with me that it’s eternity now. we’re in the new Jerusalem, a golden city illuminated by the light of the Son. and it’s been countless ages that we’ve been gathered round the throne; we, the redeemed…people of every kindred, tribe and nation, singing praises to the Lamb.

can’t you just imagine the Father looking over the diverse multitudes, beaming at each one a grin of tender joy and love? then reaching over to tap Jesus on the shoulder and whisper, “you know, they’re all such a delight, in so many ways.”

that’s my God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I recently read a book...and in there God and Jesus would be talking about someone and they would say "we are especially fond of him/her"....and I just loved that!! To think of God/Jesus being especially fond of me!! What a special post!

Anonymous said...

Really good.

Anonymous said...

Very good story! Hmmm...somehow we too easily lose sight of our God's love for us.

Anonymous said...

This is such a wonderful post! Karen sent me the link so that I could see it. I have enjoyed looking through the previous posts, you are a very talented writer and person. I wish you the best of luck teaching in Virginia. Thank you for being part of our classroom, there are many special memories to hold dear!
Marci