Thursday, May 22, 2008

His resources

if i never felt a hunger i couldn’t fill,
why pray for manna?
if i never tasted an unquenchable thirst,
why look to One who has the living water?
if i never met an obsatcle,
what would be the point of mountain-moving faith?
if i never erred or lost my way,
why a Shepherd?
if throughout life i never faced a need,
i would never, ever learn sustained trust in His provision.

now i believe that He really can bring water out of a flinty rock,
and drop new manna in each desert morning.
i believe in my Shepherd’s ability to lead me to sufficient pasture
even though the landscape all around is dry and empty.
my resources might be nearly depleted,
and my needs truly overwhelming.
but as i learn to draw on His abundant gifts,
as i see Him at work in my world,
i begin to realize that my incredible God will always come through for me.

daily contentment settles over me anew.

4 comments:

Laura said...

So true...nicely written! As always. :)

Anonymous said...

Brooke, love your blog!! how interesting... love ya! -Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Very good poem. . .good thoughts. . .well written. I just might have to print that off and hang it on my wall...would that be OK?

Esther said...

Brooke, I just reread your poem. It was exactly what I needed . . . thank you!