Sunday, May 11, 2008

thank you, mom

The more I think it over the more I feel that there is
nothing more truly artistic than to love people.
(Vincent van Gogh)




I am quite sure my mom would not call herself artistic, or even creative [although I disagree on that point]. It is true that she does not like to write poems or paint or play the gourmet chef. But my mom is a master of one type of creativity...the art of giving herself.

I notice this in a dozen little things daily. The card for a single friend on Mother's Day. The afternoon spent flight shopping for my Virginia trip. Her patience with a fussy little girl in the wee hours. Her attention to unspoken needs. Her listening ear.

Thank you, Mom, for the way you touch us. Thank you for the beautiful, creative ways you show us your love, and God's.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love your quote about being truly artistic is loving people. wow. and you have a beautiful blog, brooke. which is fitting, because you are a beautiful woman. all my love! - lauren

Anonymous said...

This is so true! Your Mom is beautiful, loving, and thoughtful!! I always cherish the cards that she writes to me. She is a gem!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Brooke!