Sunday, July 18, 2010

my refuge



I love Scottish castles. Mysterious, ancient, secure, and romantic, they speak of the long ago.

I can picture a kilted laird, his dirk in hand, standing on the ramparts of the castle and ready to protect the frightened villagers who shelter within the castle's walls. I see a clan of men ready to do battle while the bagpipes ring a battle cry over the mountainside. I can imagine arrow and sword as powerless against the massive stone fortress.


Psalms 18 tells me that I have a refuge far more secure and impressive.

When encompassed by Saul and his armies, David writes:

O Lord, You are my Rock, a firm Foundation when life shifts beneath me.
You are my Fortress against attack,
A Shield and Protection from the enemy of my soul,
My Deliverer from all evils, within and without.
God, You are my keen and firm Strength, in You I trust and rely.
You are indeed the Horn and the Seal of my salvation,
A High Tower whereunto I continually resort in my time of need.
I will call upon You, O Lord, whom I love devotedly;
Your praise will be my battle cry.
So shall I be saved.
Psalm 18:2,3 (a paraphrase)




1 comment:

Esther said...

Great post... I'm back to reading Liz Curtis Higgs. I had to remember our discussions at the cabin over her books.