Wednesday, September 10, 2008

except...

time has come to post about my work, teaching...
...my life these days.
i've had a few arduous weeks of preparing, and the to-do list is always present.
but we have progressed from this bare chaos
(thanks, denise)

to a room that now feels like a schoolroom.

hurrah!


















sometimes the prep is loads of fun.
wouldn't you like to dig up grass roots in the rain?
listen carefully to popcorn popping on a friday afternoon?
dissect a petunia?
color your fingerprints with washable markers?
write your initials in cuneiform?


sometimes the prep is overwhelming.
i remind myself of psalm 127:1-3:
except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it:
except the Lord build the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
it is vain for you to rise up early,
to sit up late...
seriously, i like that verse.
in a teacher paraphrase,
'except the Lord be in your classroom,
you multiply lesson plans,
grade every paper,
decorate each classroom corner,
but in vain.'
i'm off to prepare for tomorrow...
with Him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke, it is so good to discover another friend here in the land of strangers.

Your blog is beautiful. I like your way of doing things.

Without being melodramatic, I'd like to tell you what the poem on breadcrumbs made me want to do. It made me want to lap up the soggy bread crumbs and bestow snuffly kisses to the feet of those who graced the waterside to throw the crumbs.

Love, Carita

Anonymous said...

Awwww.....it's so good to hear from you again and "see" a bit into your classroom. I think of you often and wish I did better at letting you know that. Blessings to you as you continue on with Him!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about your life...I often check for an update! :-) I trust that things are going well.

Blessings to you!

The other Carita :-)

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, Brooke! I really enjoyed coming down there and helping you. I hope school is going well for you and that you can enjoy every minute of it.

Morgan said...

I think I forgot what you look like. So very cool to see your classroom. The windows behind your desk are darling.
Miss you.